Sunday, May 15, 2011

Welcome To The Party, Everyone!

     Welcome to my blog, everyone. Wow, that’s a sentence I never thought I’d ever utter in a million years. But c’est la vie! I guess I should begin with what my purpose of this blog is and is not.
     First, it will mostly be about my observations about life in the retail world. Normally, that might not sound too interesting, but you’d be surprised as to what goes on at your favorite stores. With a major portion of the U.S. having at one point worked in the retail world, a lot of my observations may sound familiar to you. I hope that even those who don’t work in the retail industry will be able to relate what I say here to your personal work environment. After all, frustration with one’s current work situation is a universal feeling.
     Who knows, I might even make a pretty insightful comment about those who work in retail stores or those who shop in retail stores. I’d love for this to be a therapeutic exercise for not only myself, but for others who read this. Something to laugh at, to shake your head at, or to open your eyes to - anything that makes this worthwhile for all parties involved.
     I’ll often relate stories from past or present jobs that I’ve had or from others whom I’ve worked with. Throughout the stories, the names will be changed to protect the innocent and the not-innocent-at-all. If you’re a customer who recognizes some of the behaviors I describe in here as your own, then hopefully you’ll keep this blog and the critiques of annoying behaviors in mind the next time you go shopping.
     Just don’t assume I’m talking about you.
     (Unless you’re Larry, then I’m totally talking about you. Yeah, Larry, your friends are talking about you behind your back. Shape up or ship out, buddy! Do you think we don’t know you punch out fifteen minutes early every damn day?)
     What this isn’t is a place just to bitch for bitching’s sake. Most people don’t like their jobs or complain endlessly about it. Most people have jobs worse than mine and I in no way take for granted the fact that I have a paycheck that can help me scrape by in this crappy economy. Whenever I complain about a situation, I hope to be able to grow or find answers from them. If I can’t find something useful in a crappy situation, then this just becomes a blog about a grown man crying about a mediocre job. At which point, you all would promptly leave.
     I don’t hate my job or any job I’ve held. I just have had to deal with a lot of stupid bullshit and need a place to let my thoughts go free. I hope you all will learn to sympathize with that.
     As my first blog, this will be quite a “work in progress” for a long time. I hope everyone can stick it out and enjoy the few amusing things I say. As you read my blog entries, please take note: I am very sarcastic. I’ll refrain from “lol” or “haha” and just trust in the fact that you can pick-up on my humor. In retail, if you can’t laugh about a situation, you’ve already lost the game.
     And as far as that whole agreement the website asks you to agree to before reading my blog with “adult content”? Nothing I say will get crazy, I don’t think, but the first rule of retail is CYA. I don’t want anyone complaining that I swore on my own blog. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn’t have said that b/c now I’ve lost that sense of danger and excitement. Damn!
     So sit back & enjoy! I love feedback & your comments are always welcome. Spread the word to everyone if you enjoy the stories I tell, too! The more, the merrier. Just respect others & myself while you’re here. And thanks for deciding that reading this was more entertaining than spending time online to masturbate. I feel honored!
     More soon from the frontlines…

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this blog, as someone who knows the ups and down's of retail i think this is a wonderful idea and i can't wait to see what you come up with next!! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next stop, the wide array of FORMER occupations that have found there way into working retail, due to the RECESSION.....Ask any retail worker if this is what they've always done, and you will get answers ranging from Wall Street broker, to auto worker, to movie producer, to school teacher. The recently displaced workforce who has been forced into retail is about to explode on the increasingly ignorant customer base....

    ReplyDelete